Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Major Milestones

Weaning is in process. I can't believe it. It happened unintentionally on last Saturday when I went to get Alex out of bed and she was playing so I kept giving her stuffed animals while still in her bed. She played and laughed for a while. Then I offered to let her hold one while I changed her diaper (usually, she screams if I change her before breastfeeding in the morning which means I often breastfed her with a stinky diaper). She seemed excited to hold Raggedy Ann. Then, I offered her to carry the dirty diaper in a bag to the garage to throw away and she gladly accepted like a big girl. Then, she forgot about breastfeeding and a sippy cup and breakfast followed with ease. This happened for 3 days straight with no tears, just playing and distractions. These distractions worked unlike the last time when I tried getting her out of her crib first, then distracting. I learned the distracting had to take place while still in the bed. However, this morning (4th morning) didn't go so well. She was already upset because I made her wait a bit before getting her out of bed as she woke early. By the time I got in there, she did not want anything to do with her stuffed animals or playing. Her typical pulling on my shirt and whining occurred. I kept trying to distract her, but nothing worked. She even threw her sippy cup. However, I did not let her breastfeed as I am very sore from not breastfeeding and did not want to start this filling up/drying up process all over again (I'm in the painful filling up part). No turning back now. She probably cried/threw down for 5 minutes and wimpered off and on a little after, but finally stopped when I gave her breakfast. I guess she couldn't forget in 3 days about breastfeeding since mommy walked in looking like Dolly Parton. I pray the tears and desire for breastfeeding ends soon for Alex as well as relief for my breasts and that I don't get mastitis! If any of you experienced weaners have any tips for relief during this time, please tell me!!!

Another major milestone that has occurred is that Alex has transitioned from 2 naps a day to one. I was surprised she was ready this early, but she started just playing in her bed during the ave nap. So, after a week of that, I decided to go to one nap a day in the afternoon. She has been doing it a week now and sleeps about 2-3 hrs in the ave (shorter if a poo wakes her). I have actually enjoyed this new schedule as we have more flexibility for activities and errands in the morning now.

So many changes so quickly... Alex is growing up too fast!

5 comments:

The Thurmans said...

I had an unusual experience when breastfeeding Brice. He never took a bottle. He breastfed exclusively for 10 months. One night we were out late and he fell asleep on the way home. I couldn't wake him to nurse when we got home so I just waited until morning. He wouldn't have anything to do with me the next morning or the rest of the day. I kept trying for 3 days and pumping to relieve my discomfort. I finally gave up trying. I bound myself with an ace bandage. I had also heard about putting a cabbage leaf on your breast (under the ace bandage) I'm not sure if it really worked, but it sure did smell bad! Honestly it has been way too long (Brice will be 15 soon) and I can't remember all of it. But I did dry up. Just take some Tylenol and rest as much as you can. Good luck to you. I love reading all your updates. It's neat to watch your growing family.

Clay and J said...

I'm saying a prayer for you tonight that tomorrow morning will go well. I obviously don't have any experience in this yet, but something you said reminded me of Babywise (I promise I really do like it, even if I don't looooove it). It mentions letting babies cry a little when it's time for naptime and that it doesn't hurt them. Perhaps her crying a little in the morning won't hurt her (even though I know it hurts you). Anyway, keep giving us the updates--I know I'll be on that same road before I know it!

The Hows said...

honestly, i never quite understood your blogs before kekoa was born, and now i go back to your old ones and read everything that you posted about alex's milestones! thanks for the documentation!

Townsend said...

one of my girlfriends also used a cabbage leaf and she had bad mastitis (not from weaning though). when she did wean, she told me she got swollen and very sore as well..but that it all went away without any problems. all part of the game! i'll be there shortly! once jacob hits the whole milk...it's adios chi chi's!!

Chrissa said...

I have a close friend who has tried weaning her 16 month old & it has proven to be very difficult. She has left her over night & the baby does fine, but as soon as she's back home she remembers mommy's milk & really fights for it. Keeping you in thought & prayer - Continue to keep us posted with Alex's progress!