Sunday, December 13, 2009

Full of Joy

As we worshiped with the church this morning, we sang Joy to the World with a new chorus starting with "joy, unspeakable joy." I could actually sing that with a heart full of joy, nothing supressed. Oh, and I loved Alex in my arms as she joined us to worship through song at the beginning. One of the pastors spoke about Jesus coming as the light into darkness when He was born. He eventually defined joy in a way I have never heard - a deep confidence in the character of God (i.e. His character of grace, love, power, control, etc).

I often felt like I was letting the enemy steal my joy the first few months of David's life. After desperately seeking God about this and my circumstances, He changed my perspective and attitude. He has recently renewed my spirit, my joy, and I can see my cup full, overflowing actually. In the midst of the yuck, I memorized Phi. 4:4 with Alex (and sang the song), "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice" as I was desperately needing something to rejoice about. That helped in regaining perspective, but another verse we recently memorized has been pivotal in keeping perspective, Psalm 136:1 - "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever." We talk about it, give thanks to God through praying and even sing the Steve Green song of it (Alex thinks every Bible verse has to have a song- ha! I often make them up.) My deep confidence in the characters of God (my joy) is back or just not suppressed anymore. I pray that I don't lose perspective that bad again and that I can be more faithful even when times are tough. I do thank God for the hard times as I learn so much through them. However, I'm just thankful that life is not so hard right now. :)

1 comment:

Clay and J said...

I am so grateful for these two posts on joy and going through hard times, coming out stronger. I look forward to hanging out with you soon!