Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Preemie Luke is Here





Well, this past weekend did not go according to our plans. Within 30 minutes of when my mom was supposed to be leaving my house on Saturday and when Chris had planned to go to his department cookout, I began having a seizure (1st time ever) in the kitchen. Mom was in there and screamed for Chris. Chris ran in from the next room and caught me. Mom scooped kids out and called 911. Chris got me breathing again after being out for several minutes. I do not remember anything except waking to paramedics around me and then being transported to the hospital by ambulance.

I apparently had eclampsia which is when your pregnancy causes you to have a seizure basically. Usually, people have high blood pressure and other symptoms during pregnancy but I didn't have any. This happens occassionally with eclampsia. The only treatment is to deliver the baby even if early because it is progressive putting mom and baby at risk of dying. So, I received 2 steroid shots after being admitted to the hospital to help develop the baby's lungs. Then, I received a 12 hr medication last night to help prepare my cervix/uterus to be induced for delivery today. Soon after it ended today, I was given an epidural and then pitocin to induce labor. The baby came within 45 minutes of starting pitocin. 

Luke Richard Lee came out screaming at 30.5 wks weighing 3 lbs 2 oz. He was breathing well on his own for a while, but eventually needed the ventilator and a medicine called surfactant to help his lungs. He was weaned off the ventilator on the morning after he was born. He will most likely be in the NICU at UMC for 4-8 wks :( This makes me sad, but I just have to be thankful we are both alive.

I'm still being monitored and was treated to prevent any more seizures after delivery. My CT scan and MRI of my head was normal. While on a magnesium sulfate drip I felt miserable, dizzy, and had some vision issues but once it was turned off I have felt much better.

Amidst this unexpected seizure and delivery, we are thankful to God for many things.
Thankfully, Chris and mom had not left the house before I had the seizure or I may not be writing this. Thankfully, Chris knew how to care for me while seizing and being non responsive. Thankfully, mom was there to keep kids initially. Thankfully, we had a babysitter lined up that night who we had canceled just an hour before because our plans changed (and she was still available). Thankful for Chris's aunt Tammy and cousin Kelly for spending the night with Alex and David and taking care of them that night and the next day. Thankful to have a God comforting us throughout this experience.

It is surreal that we have a new baby already. The last few days have been a whirlwind. It has not sunk in that the baby is here because the baby is in the NICU and not with us :(  Please pray for us as we have several uncertain weeks ahead of us. Trying to figure out logistics of visiting him without kids as they cannot come to the NICU. Also, I will have driving restrictions for a few weeks because of the seizure. Thank you for all the prayers. Please continue. We are sorry we have not been able to reply to everyone individually and thank everyone for their support.
We love ya'll!

Update 6/28/11:

Rebecca may go home tomorrow but possibly Thursday.  Waiting to get echocardiogram for further testing. She is feeling much better since getting off the magnesium drip.

Luke has been off the ventilator since Monday morning. He is on nasal SiPAP (rate controlled CPAP/ machine that blows air in his nose to help him breath on his own easier) with minimal O2 25%. He got his first feed today through a tube. He is getting some nutrition through his IV. We got to put family pictures on his incubator today as well as a stuffed animal. His doctors and nurses have been taking good care of our new little man. They have all been very helpful and informative to us. By the way, Luke has a head full of dark wavy hair :)

1 comment:

Wilson said...

Haven't checked your blog in a while. Wow--prayers are with you. What a handsome new addition you have. I know you can't wait to have him home. Our little man was only in the NICU for three days and it was the longest three days ever. Hang in there!