Tonight was a big night as we introduced Alex to her first solid food - carrots. She gobbled them up and didn't even flinch that it was not her usual cereal. I'm attempting to homemake all her baby food for various reasons: healthier, cheaper, tastier, easier transition to table food, i love to cook, etc... We (yes, Chris pitched in as he wanted to use our new food processor) had fun making the carrots. We peeled, boiled, and processed 2 lbs of carrots. Each pound cost 99 cents (not on sale this time) and supposedly 2 lbs makes 8-12 jars of carrots. I already see the savings! It was pretty easy, too, and did not take very long. Making the food in bulk and freezing it will be key so I won't have to clean the processor as much. I hope I have time to keep this up!

6 comments:
I'm so impressed!
OH man, I can't wait to get my hands on that sweet pea cutie pie munchkin! And I bet Sable can't wait either, she'd like to give Alex one of her open mouth kisses (eww), lol.
fyi--to save time, i would buy one pound baby carrots so i wouldn't have to peel them, just rinse and steam. i also used alot of frozen veggies since i was freezing the purees anyway.
you go girl!
We have some friends here in nwa who make all their own baby food as well. They save a LOT of money & she really enjoys doing it for her child. She freezes the processed food in ice cube trays & just dethaws in the microwave when ready! It's pretty cool, I think! When Jeff and I have kids, I definitely want to try to make our own baby food - it just something I never would have even thought of on my own :)
Yeah! Clay and I have thought about making our own baby food, and it will be great to get advice from you! :)
IMPRESSIVE!
Post a Comment