Monday, July 18, 2011

Conquering the Feeds

I cannot believe Luke has been in the NICU for 3 weeks and one day. Thankfully, the time is going by fast even though it has been chaotic. He is now 33 weeks and 6 days old gestational. Luke has continued to gain weight (currently ~3 lb 12 oz) which is an answered prayer especially since we have increased the number of breastfeeding to 2-3 times a day. He successfully took his first bottle tonight also (took 30cc which is 3cc more than his scheduled tube feeds :) As hesitant as I was about them introducing the bottle, I have learned that it is necessary for NICU babies to expedite coming home. He has to be able to take 8 feedings/day by bottle or breast and still gain weight to be able to come home. Of course, I cannot be at the hospital for all 8 feedings so the bottle was inevitable. Thankfully, I have also learned that preemies do well switching back from the bottle to breast and vice versa. Once we get him home, I'll be able to breastfeed all his feeds...we just need to get him home!

To be able to come home, he must meet ALL of the following criteria.
Luke must:
1. be 35 weeks gestational age (next Wed, July 30)
2. be over 4 pounds
3. be able to regulate his temperature outside of incubator
4. be able to take 8 feedings/day by bottle or breast and still gain weight.

So, the earliest he could come home is July 30. We are hopeful that he will depart the NICU sometime next week!!! Please pray for him to be able to meet the above criteria to come home.

Also, please continue to pray for us to find ways to make Alex and David feel super special as we are gone often. They have never been away from us this much. I notice them being more clingy, fussy and sometimes distant. David even told me while I was changing his diaper tonight "miss you, miss you." it was so sweet, yet sad. I'm usually gone from 11:15am-4:15pm and some nights so they definitely feel this. As much as I want Luke home, I'm already praying for ALL of our family to be prepared for it. It will be a whole new challenge with Alex and David then as I will be spending so much time caring our little newborn. Please start praying for their adjustment and how I will handle it all when Luke does come home.

Updates: Alex and David are 100% better. Luke's eye seems to be better as well.

I looked into the scheduling website and got a bit overwhelmed with it. So, I'm just going to throw out there that if you are available to drive me to or from the hospital, please comment here, email, call, text, or facebook me. Currently, I need a ride to pick me up at 11:15am to go and then someone to pick me up from the hospital at about 4pm to bring me home. I'd like to try to add one more shorter trip there a day to get a 3rd feed in, but don't know when or how yet as David and Alex need me, too.

I think that is all for now. I'm exhausted as I do not rest with the kids in the afternoon anymore since I am at the hospital. Gotta go pump and try to get in bed soon.

Love Y'all,
~rebecca~


I love this pic of Luke reflex smiling even though it is a bit distorted because of the angle making him look chubby. ha! There is not anything chubby about him. He is so narrow and tiny!


Mimi holding Luke for the first time
Mimi is mine and the kiddos' babysitter for most of this week.
Thanks Mimi for helping in so many ways with the kids and house!


Grandaddy holding Luke for the first time


Playing in the rain and it's aftermath one afternoon with cousin Amber and some neighbors
They had a blast!


1 comment:

robin said...

Love the picture of Luke smiling. Great picture of the kids playing in the rain too. The one just of David looks like a flash flood since he is so small with the huge puddles. LOL :)