Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Life at the NICU

Several people have asked me what my day looks like. Currently, my mother in law or mom (whoever is here that week) takes me to the hospital for Luke's 9am feed. Then, we go right back home. Then, a ride comes to pick me up at 11:15am so I can make it in plenty of time for his noon feed. I then stay at the hospital for his 3pm feed. Then, I leave about 4pm each day. This is the overall view. 

However, if you have never been in the NICU, many steps must happen just to go see your baby. So, getting to the hospital early is important to get it all done (especially in time for a feed :)

Step 1: Sign in at desk (and sometimes have to show ID)


Step 2: Grandaddy scrubbing in - Visitors to NICU should wash/scrub hands up to elbows for 3 minutes with scrubber and special soap. Needless to say, my hands are sooooo dry and rough after doing this multiple times a day.


Step: 3 - Putting sterile gown on over clothes


Then, I can walk back to Luke's little corner with a window view to visit him.


Our little area where I visit and nurse. Screens are put up for privacy when I nurse. Recently, we were moved closer to the window to let another baby have his above area.


Looking at and talking to Luke through the little door on his incubator. Notice he is on a special gel pad to protect his head.


Wiggle worm Luke often gets off his pad and ends up perpendicular to it!


Stretching


After I nurse each day, I go to this small, narrow pump room to pump milk as mama moo cow makes a lot more than little man can eat!


"Fun" at home with Alex and David
First time ever that a kiddo has written on walls :( I will say it wasn't on purpose though. The kids were coloring with markers and started playing chase. I told David to put the markers down before he kept running. He did not obey and when he ran by the wall (twice), he was holding them out and it made a line down the wall.

No comments: